While everyone’s eyes, ears, and …. imaginations have been focused on where Johan Santana would end up, the American League hot stove has been quietly churning. Here is a quick recap of some moves to date.
- The St Louis Cardinals acquired 3B Troy Glaus from the Toronto Blue Jays for 3B Scott Rolen.
A pretty even swap of talent, and a move that was initiated by Glaus’ request to be moved. Both are risky in terms of reliability, but can certainly produce when the stars align.
- The Texas Rangers signed Everyday Eddie Guardado to a one-year contract.
Guardado might be due for a new nickname, after battling the injury bug the past few seasons. Do the Rangers actually expect a full and productive season from Eddie, or is this just a desperation signing in a RP-thin market?
- The Oakland Athletics re-signed pitcher Justin Duchscherer to a one-year contract.
Solid signing. Duchscherer didn’t have his best year in 2007, posting an ERA over 3.50 for the first time in a full-season, but quality relief pitching is hard to come by these days and a guy like this is certainly a commodity.
Other notable moves…
- The Seattle Mariners signed infielder Miguel Cairo to a one-year contract.
- The Boston Red Sox sent some talent back to Japan; they sold pitcher Scott Atchison’s contract to the Hanshin Tigers of the Japanese Central League.
- The Kansas City Royals signed Hideo Nomo to a minor-league contract.
- The Chicago White Sox acquired A’s outfielder Nick Swisher for outfielder Ryan Sweeney and pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos.
- The Milwaukee Brewers signed former Red Sox outfielder Gabe Kapler to a one-year contract.
- The New York Yankees re-signed Mariano Rivera to a three-year contract.
- The Tampa Bay Rays signed outfielder Cliff Floyd, to a one-year contract with a 2009 team option.
Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tiger, Florida Marlins, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles Dodgers, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, MLB Baseball, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, Sports, St. Louis Cardinals, Tampa Bay Rays, Texas Rangers, Toronto Blue Jays, Washington Nationals